How to Use it
The Kelly Kettle® is easy to use.
To start with, remove the fire base from the bottom of the kettle and place the base on level ground – flat side down.
- Remove protective stopper or whistle from the kettle and fill kettle with water. Do not replace the stopper - the water spout must be free from ALL obstructions when the kettle is in use. (Note: If you do not need to carry water in the kettle, we recommend that the stopper be removed entirely from the kettle as this will ensure that the kettle is not misused)
- Fill the base with combustible material such as newspaper, dry grass or very small tinder. Then place the kettle securely on the base.
- Light fire through the hole(s) inside of the base and face the hole(s) into the wind for extra draught.
- Insert additional fuel through the chimney (use small twigs or Pine cones for best results).
- When the water boils, hold the handle at a 90° angle to the body of the Kettle – then lift Kettle clear of the base. Use handle and chain for pouring. If additional boiling water is required, simply refill the kettle, place it back on the fire base and refuel the chimney again!
We suggest practicing this BEFORE you light the fire, just to get used to the procedure.
When you have finished using your kettle, it should be emptied of all water and stored in a Dry place. When in storage, the stopper should be left out of the spout to allow air circulate through the water chamber.
- Never hold the handle above the chimney when the kettle is lit as it can result in a burn for the user.
- Never place the kettle on the fire unless the water chamber is full & do not allow the kettle to boil dry.
- Always keep children away from the kettle when in use.
- Use surplus water to extinguish fire.